UW-Fox Valley Logo

UWFox Celebrates 75 Years, Solicits College Memories

[This page is preserved for historical and reference purposes only.  The information contained on it may no longer be current.]

The University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley celebrates its 75th year in 2008. Plans are in place for several special events, publications, historical displays and performances throughout the anniversary year, reports Campus Executive Officer and Dean Jim Perry. A planning committee has produced a pictorial 75th anniversary 2008 UWFox commemorative wall calendar that features important historical events and aspects of the University of Wisconsin System collegiate campus, as well as dates and times for public lectures, music and theatre performances, and special anniversary events in 2008. An online campus history, complete with photos, is available at www.uwfox.uwc.edu/aboutfox/75th/.

According to Perry, historical records from the earliest years of the university, first founded in the vocational wing at Menasha High School in 1933 as the “Menasha Extension Center,” are few and far between. The Extension would later rent classroom space in the former Jensen Clinic on Main Street in Menasha before finding its permanent home on Midway Road in 1960. The Extension Center was shuttered from 1941-1946 during WWII, but reopened and went through a growth spurt in 1946 when veterans returned and overwhelmed the existing state university system as they enrolled in college under the GI Bill. By the time the Midway Campus was constructed in 1960, 290 students were enrolled. Today’s UWFox enrollment is 1730 students.

Campus 1960: Some of the 290 enrolled Menasha Extension Center students leave the newly constructed 39,000-square-foot University of Wisconsin campus building in 1960. The UWFox campus has since grown to 225,180 square feet and more than 1730 students.“Our best bet to get a feel for the earliest days of UWFox is to ask our former students for their recollections and photographs. We’re asking them to write or e-mail us so we can compile their stories and reminiscences,” Dr. Perry requests. Alumni, former professors, staff and friends of UWFox are invited and encouraged to send their memories and photographs of UWFox, from any era, to: Jim Perry, Campus Executive Officer and Dean, University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley, 1478 Midway Road, Menasha WI 54952 or via a submission form at www.uwfox.uwc.edu/aboutfox/75th/. These materials will be published and/or displayed in the community during 2008.

Print photographs will be carefully scanned and returned. The public is also invited to request a free copy of the 2008 commemorative wall calendar by calling 832-2600 or visiting the anniversary section of the campus web site and clicking on "Request a Calendar."

Posted 01/31/2008