UWFox Hosts Fox Cities Marathon
[This page is preserved for historical and reference purposes only. The information contained on it may no longer be current.]
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley Hosts the 10th Annual Fox Cities Marathon
For the third consecutive year, the University of Wisconsin -Fox Valley is the official "Host Facility" for the annual Community First Fox Cities Marathon and its related events. UW- Fox Valley's convenient location within the Fox Cities offers a wide range of conveniences and services for the runners, spectators, expo attendees, media, and VIP's.
For a number of years after the race was first held in 1991, the Fox Cities Marathon started at Riverside Park in Neenah, and eventually finished near downtown Appleton. While the marathon has continued its traditional start in Neenah for the past nine years, the certified 26.2-mile course has changed several times over the last 10 years.
In 1998, event organizers began looking for a new finish line area to better accommodate larger crowds and to be able to centralize many of the other events associated with "marathon weekend."
That year, UW-Fox Valley administrators stepped forward and offered to work with the event organizers and volunteers in order find ways that they could offer their campus facilities for the many participants and their families to use. The transition was so successful and deemed so convenient by all the parties involved, that the events are being staged on the campus again, September 30 - October 1, 2000.
The weekend's events at the UW-Fox Valley campus are:
Saturday, September 30 -
- U.S. Cellular 5K Run/Walk, starting at 8:00 a.m. near the Barlow Planetarium;
- Guardian Kids' Run, beginning at 10:00 a.m. on the south lawn near the Barlow Planetarium;
- Affinity Sports Medicine Expo and packet pick-up, opening at 9:00 a.m. in the Fieldhouse;
- Lamers Bus Lines Marathon Course Tours, 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., leaving from the campus parking lot;
- Fazoli's Pasta Dinner beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Union.
Sunday, October 1 -
- Community First Fox Cities Marathon finish line;
- The Relay Marathon finish line;
- TDS Metrocom Half-Marathon finish line;
- Appleton Papers Power Walk Half-Marathon finish line;
- Awards Presentation for the marathon, half-marathon, and Power Walk.
For more complete information about the Fox Cities Marathon and its related events, to register for an event, and to check out fees and confirm starting times, please click on the event's website, www.foxcitiesmarathon.org.
For information about Fox Cities' lodging, please consult the website for the Fox Cities Convention and Visitors' Bureau, www.foxcities.org.
For the map location of the University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley and directions to the finish line, please consult our website link located on the far left of our home page, or www.uwfox.uwc.edu/aboutfox/map.html.