Associate of Arts & Science Degree with Emphasis
Earning your Associate of Arts & Sciences Degree with an Emphasis enhances your overall associate degree because you have a concentration of coursework in a particular area of study. While adding an Emphasis is not a requirement it adds value to your skills, knowledge, and experience.
What are the benefits of an AAS Degree with an Emphasis?
- Expanded knowledge and skills in areas of personal, professional, and academic interest
- Career advancements and more job opportunities
- Added direction toward a specific career or industry
- More questions? Fill out the form and one of the advisors will contact you soon!
Emphasis Programs Available at UWFox
Explore your emphasis options by using the links below. An advisor can help you continue your search and guide you towards fulfilling degree requirements.
- Biological Sciences
- Communication Arts
- Computer Science
- Environmental Studies
- Health Sciences
- Political Science
- Theatre Arts
- Women's Studies
What is an Associate of Arts and Science Degree with Emphasis?
An Emphasis is a concentration of coursework in a given discipline or in more than one discipline in the case of an interdisciplinary Emphasis. What does that mean for a student trying to make course selections? For example: if a student selects an Emphasis, a minimum of nine credits in a specific area of interest will be earned within the Associate of Arts and Science Degree (AAS). Specific requirements for a Degree with Emphasis are determined by individual departments.
Why is it important to the students I advise?
- An AAS with Emphasis gives students new opportunities to explore additional classes that interest them
- Can be used as a tool to guide students as they plan for their future
- Allows students to expand their knowledge and skills in areas of personal, professional and academic interest
- May provide career advancements, personal enrichment, and more job opportunities… by selecting an AAS Degree with a Business Emphasis, students will gain additional skills and knowledge in business communications, accounting, management information systems and economics.
An AAS Degree with Emphasis gives students a direction toward a specific career or industry that they may not have had with a degree without an Emphasis.
Why is the AAS with Emphasis right for you? How will I use this?
Associate Professor Teresa Gonya refers to an Associate of Arts and Science Degree with Emphasis as equivalent to a major. “The AAS Degree with Emphasis can be used as a goal setting device to guide students to explore an area of interest.”
Courtney Losser, a student at UWFox, selected the Associate of Arts and Science Degree with Emphasis in Biological Sciences. “I knew I liked science and taking different science classes helped me to make a more informed decision about my future. I think it will help me to get a better job when I transfer to Madison. I’ll have a degree in something not just general classes. It gives you a chance to take more classes that you like while earning an Associate Degree,” Courtney said.
What AAS Degree with Emphasis is right for you?
Students should set effective strategies for achieving their academic and career goals. An advisor can guide students toward fulfilling their degree requirements and assist with exploring options. An Associate of Arts and Science Degree with Emphasis, provides new opportunities for students to consider, as they plan for the future.
It’s more than an Associate of Arts and Science Degree with Emphasis … it adds value to your skills, knowledge, experience and you!